So I have this Mini-Disc player/recorder (if you don’t know what I am talking about, do you remember the disk Neo was given at the very beginning of the Matrix? That was a Mini-Disc). At the time that I got the deck it was a revolution over CDs (which you couldn’t record on) and tape (which was just horrible to begin with). I used it to create mixes off of the radio (music for free :)).

Since I have been at college, the deck has slowly gathered dust. Over Thanksgiving break I spotted it and thought I should really get the music off of that dying format. So I started to copy the music over to my computer in analog (I didn’t have a digital input on any of computers). I thought I was going to be in for a long ride until I found Gramofile which made the process alot less painful.

I didn’t get it quite finished over Thanksgiving break but finally got around to finishing it tonight. The most time consuming part of the process was gathering the proper metadata for each track. While the Mini-Disc had a capability to title all of the tracks, I was terrible at using it. More than half of the tracks didn’t have titles and the ones that did were often wrong. Alas. After many Google searches all of the songs are now properly titled, attributed and saved in lossless digital format (flac).

While it took an immense amount of effort to get the music copied over, I think it was worth it. Many of the songs on the discs I had not heard since high school and they triggered various memories I hadn’t thought about it in quite a while.

On to the next project.